Navigate to section:
Join us on TFFT’s Kili Climb, a seven day trek 19,340 ft into the sky this fall.
This unforgettable, once-in-a-lifetime experience includes hiking five distinct climate zones: from the slopes of Kilimanjaro, through Cloud Forests, Moorlands, and Alpine Deserts before reaching the Arctic Ice Cap of the summit. Some say the variety in vegetation and wildlife is like hiking from the Equator to the North Pole in a week. Gaze at the stars from greater heights, tackle a moonlight assent, and see the sunrise from “The Roof Of Africa.”
Event dates: TFFT is planning a trip in September/October. Email Katie[at]TheFoundationForTomorrow.org if you are interested in joining.
Event cost: $3,595 per person with a $250 single supplement if climbers prefer to have their own tent.
RouteThe Machame Route is highly recommended for three main reasons:
- The Machame route has a higher success rate as the final ascent is via Stella Point which is much closer to Uhuru peak
- The alternative Marangu route is very crowded and porters have a history of being left out in the cold at night time when room needs to be taken for over bookings from companies.
- The Machame route is more scenic – if people are going to make a once in a lifetime commitment to climb the highest freestanding mountain in the world, they might as well enjoy as much of the mountain as possible. The Machame route ascends and descends on different routes to ensure you see as much of Kilimanjaro as possible. Highlights include: afromontane forest, Shira plateau, glacial valleys and alpine desert, views of Mawenzi, ascent of Kibo and possible views of Kibo caldera and ash pit.
Highlights of the route include: afromontane forest, Shira plateau, glacial valleys and alpine desert, views of Mawenzi, ascent of Kibo and possible views of Kibo caldera and ash pit. Glaciers and the roof of Africa!
$3,595 per person with a $250 single supplement if climbers prefer to have their own tent.
- Trained Kilimanjaro guides
- All relevant Kilimanjaro Park fees & rescue fees
- Emergency medical evacuation
- Supplemental oxygen & pulse oximeters
- All accommodation and meals as described in the detailed itinerary
- Transfers to and from the airport
- Drinks on the hike (potable water, tea, coffee & hot chocolate)
- Portable toilet in camp, sleeping mat, guest tent, mess tent, table, and stools
- International flights and entry visas
- Hospital bills and international evacuation in the event of an emergency
- Gratuities (guideline $300 per person)
- Alterations to the itinerary
- Beverages in hotels
- Sleeping bag (rental $30 per person)
Airfare, Travel Insurance, and Immunizations
Depending on when you book and your flight preferences, airfare will cost anywhere between $1,800 - $2,500. You should also allocate $600 for immunizations, malaria medicine, and your visa. Travel Insurance is also an important security measure that Adventure International strongly advises you purchase. For recommendations, you can review Adventure International's travel insurance page. Travel Insurance is there to cover things that Adventure International cannot - repatriation, costs of things like helicopters, trip cancellation, and so on. Please do not rely on automatic cover from credit cards, read the small print, and if you need any help, email the Adventure International team.
Time and Travel
Day 1: Arrive at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO). Transfer to Iboru Safari Lodge for overnight.
Day 2: The Foundation For Tomorrow site visits. Overnight Iboru Safari Lodge for briefing.
Day 3: Begin Kilimanjaro hike. Overnight Macahme Camp
Day 4: Overnight Shira Camp
Day 5: Overnight Barranco Camp
Day 6: Overnight Karanga Camp
Day 7: Overnight Barafu Camp
Day 8: Overnight Summit/Mweka Camp
Day 9: End Kilimanjaro hike. Transfer and overnight at Ilboru Safari Lodge
Day 10: Transfer to Kilimanjaro International Airport for departures
Extending your stay
Some climbers choose to extend their stay to enjoy seeing more of Tanzania and the opportunity for safari. If this is an option for you, we highly recommend it! Sunshine and relaxation will feel great! We can help you book a flight from Pangani to your destination choice. From there, we are happy to put you in touch with a travel agent to explore your options.
Have more questions?
We would love to answer and share stories of the adventures that await you. Call or email anytime.
p: (704) 340 8969